Thursday, March 22, 2012

Goodbye Requirements!

Today I had my last kid requirement scheduled for the morning.  This is the fifth day that I have scheduled a kid and not had them show up.  I was pretty darn frustrated.  I finally gave up and called my sister-in-law to bring in my two year old niece.  She was nice enough to bring her in even though she was super sick.  I had a walk in class V until she got there.  She wouldn't let me do anything really, as predicted.  I felt so bad because I walked away and she turned to her mom and asked if this was the doctors!  I think she thought she was there for a shot.  Poor little girl, no wonder she was scared.  Then when I told her that my friend wanted to take a look at her teeth she covered her mouth and started crying.    As soon as we walked out of the intimidating clinic she was trying to show everyone her new toothbrush and prize.  I was so grateful that she was willing to come in.  I hope she isn't traumatized.
My afternoon patient was the mom in a family of a bunch of kids that came down from Idaho.  She was super nice.  Her kids would all come sit by us and talk after they were done getting their teeth cleaned.  It was fun to sit and chat with them all.  My favorite was her little six year old boy.  He was so excited I let him put on a glove and hold the suction.  He kept telling me he wanted to be a dentist.  So cute.
I still needed six injections and Karen was kind enough to let me do hers.  I think it was a win for both of us because he was a bit of a pain!  It was actually a really good experience for me.  He have very abnormal anatomy.  When I went to do the IA he would only open his mouth about 1/2 an inch.  Then as soon as I go the needle near him he would jump so high.  I finally had to tell him to buck up and be a man.  I told him to go to his happy place and hold still with his mouth open wider or I was going to have to keep stabbing him!  He was a little more compliant after that.  I kept hitting osseous super early with the IA, only about 1/3 of the needle would go in.  The interesting part was he felt the zing of the lingual nerve and I was in the exact right spot (which was difficult considering how much he was moving) and he went numb super fast.  Crazy.  I haven't had the chance to do many IAs and none on abnormal anatomy so it was a great experience.
The VERY BEST part of the day was the end when I realized I had successfully completed ALL of my clinic requirements!!!! Woot Woot!  I am ready to graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment